||News / Event||History||Basseting||Our Pack||TCB Traditions||Photos||Membership / Contacts|
Pack Hunting with Basset Hounds in the St. Louis area began in 1955. The Bridlespur Hunt, a foxhunt established in 1927, needed to relocate due to encroaching suburban development.
The original hounds for the pack were provided by Clarkson Carpenter, Jr. and his wife D.J. Mahaffey Carpenter, who had a love for bassets and already owned a few hounds. The first Joint Masters of the Bridlespur Bassets were Clarkson Carpenter and his good friend Samuel W. Mitchell. As well as becoming very popular at home, the pack enjoyed much success in field competition, winning multiple accolades at the National Basset Trials in Aldie, VA.
By the mid-1960's the enthusiasm for Basseting had grown. The Carpenters and Sam Mitchell, as well as the Masters of the Bridlespur Foxhunt, decided to form a second pack at Strathalbyn, the newly founded sportsmen’s club, in Weldon Spring. They drafted new hounds to form this new pack and in 1966 the Strathalbyn Bassets were recognized. After the death of Clarkson Carpenter in 1969, D.J. Carpenter became Master and carried the horn. The Strathalbyn Bassets competed successfully at Aldie and at Hound Shows across the country, as well as in open competition at specialty dog shows.
In 1981, the now remarried D.J. Moore moved her pack to the family's Three Creek Farm where the Kennels would be near her home. The pack was renamed the Three Creek Bassets. D.J.'s daughter, Laura Carpenter Balding, took up the horn and joined her mother as a Joint-Master. Throughout this history there have been other Joint-Masters, most all of them worthy, and some of whom also hunted the hounds. In 2008 Lei Ruckle became a Joint-Master.
The hunt membership is by subscription, and includes some who have been with the pack since the earliest years, as well as newcomers who have just discovered the fun and camaraderie that the sport of Basseting provides.